Your Community Foundation
Since 2001, The McHenry County Community Foundation, our county’s community foundation, has connected the generosity of donors with community needs by making grants to organizations working to create a better quality of life throughout McHenry County. Philanthropic efforts for the county are coordinated and led by the team at McHenry County Community Foundation.
In 2017, the Foundation, together with its donors, granted more than $1 million to nonprofit organizations: protecting the human services safety net for those hardest hit by the economy, developing new audiences to sustain our county’s arts and education organizations, and improving conditions for healthy and active lifestyles.
As nonprofit organizations, local governments and businesses strive to tackle issues of concern, the Foundation provides civic leadership through partnerships and collaborations. Working together, the Foundation, its donors and its community partners leverage collective knowledge, creativity and resources for a greater impact than any of us can make alone.
Philanthropy is evident in every community of McHenry County. The Community Foundation makes philanthropic process simple by working with individuals and groups to create various giving funds.
- Donor Advised Funds
- Designated Funds
- Agency Funds
- Field of Interest Funds
- Scholarship Funds
- Unrestricted Fund
- GIVE360 Fund
- Operational Fund
Unique Functions of Community Foundations
Community foundations are tax-exempt public charities serving people who share common interests: improving the quality of life in their area. They enable people with philanthropic interests to support the issues they care about, simply and effectively. And they create long-term assets for communities to sustain the people who live there.
Community foundations hold a special role among public charities. They act as grantmakers, community leaders, donor service providers and fund developers.
The McHenry County Community Foundation offers great value to the residents of this county – whether donor, grant seeker, recipient of services or simply an interested member of our community. The Foundation accepts gifts of various sizes and types, and connects with agencies and individuals to determine the very best use of those funds.
Today, more than 700 community foundations exist across the world, each serving a specific geographic region. The team at your McHenry County Community Foundation is honored to serve McHenry County, Illinois.
Community Foundations make a positive impact!
- Distribute competitive grants directly to area nonprofits using the revenue generated by their endowments and expertise in the areas they fund.
- Guide their donors to select the best place for dollars to be granted to improve the community.
- Manage both endowments as well as funds in which individuals maintain varying degrees of control, such as donor advised funds.
- Develop funding partnerships with other foundations and local businesses to meet broad community needs.
- Partner with governments, corporations and other entities to develop new strategies for systemic change.
- Operate with oversight of a volunteer board of civic leaders and implement programs through a team of professional staff with expertise in identifying the community’s needs.